With no relief on fuel costs in site, cost effective driving habits can make a huge difference to your bottom line. While not all of these tips will be possible for everyone, picking up a few efficient driving habits will reduce your fuel consumption and free up your wallet.
- Lose your rooftop carrier. A rooftop carrier is great when you need it, otherwise you’re unnecessarily increasing your wind resistance and consequently lowering your fuel economy. Keep your aerodynamics in check and give your fuel economy and boost by storing your rooftop carrier when it’s not needed. If you can, try storing your load inside the vehicle rather than using a roof rack. This will improve your vehicle’s aerodynamics.
- Keep tires properly inflated. Under inflated tires can lower your gas mileage considerably. If you don’t know what your tire pressure should be, try checking your driver’s side door jamb sticker.
- Use the correct oil. Using the manufacturer’s recommended grade of oil can improve your gas mileage from 1-2%.
- Remove extra weight. Carrying an extra 100lbs in your vehicle can reduce your km per litre by about 1%. Keep your vehicle clear of clutter and watch your bill decrease at the pump.
- Keep your engine tuned. Replacing a serious maintenance problem such as a faulty oxygen sensor can improve fuel efficiency by as much as 40%!
- Avoid aggressive driving habits. Rapid acceleration uses a tremendous amount of gas. Anticipate traffic so you can brake and accelerate at a steady rate. For highway driving, try using your vehicle’s cruise control. Patient driving will pay off next time you visit the pump.
- Observe the speed limit. Gas mileage decreases significantly at speeds exceeding 80km per hour.
- Combine your car trips. Rather than taking several short trips, combine all your errands into one multipurpose trip while the engine is warm and running more efficiently. So instead of going to the bank then home, the grocery store then home, then to get take out then home – do it all in one trip. It’s simple, but it helps.